Thursday, January 12, 2012

Divisional Playoffs

In wild card weekend we lost all the wild card teams. The 5 and 6 teams from each conference are gone, somewhat shockingly (I'm looking at you Pittsburgh).

So, now we have only the 8 division winners left and can get down to Championship Sunday. Let's see how these games break down.

Saturday

(3)New Orleans Saints at (2)San Francisco 49ers- The Saints are a different team at home than on the road, and going into San Fran is going to be a battle for them. Is the saying true? Is it defense that wins championships? The Saints are a turf team, can they air out 35 points on grass, in wind, against a tough Niners D. I really, really want to pick SF but the fact that they don't have a big time QB makes me lean to NO. Harbaugh will have his guys primed and ready to go as the underdog 2 seed, and I see them giving NO hell, maybe even leading as late as the 3rd. Still, I'm taking the Saints. 26-20.

(4)Denver Broncos at (1)New England Patriots- The madness has to end at some point, but will it end with Tebow holding a Lombardi, is the question. The Patriots have struggled in the playoffs the past two years, losing at home to Baltimore and NY Jets past two seasons both at home. The Pats look to get back on track and advance to the AFC Championship for the first time since the 2008 post season when they beat the Jaguars to get to 18-0. Does Tebow really stand in their way? Maybe not, but a stellar defense and running attack does. The Steelers couldn't buy a possession in the second half against Denver. I'm going with the Pats to win in a game a bit closer than when they played four weeks ago. Patriots advance 27-13.

Sunday

(3)Houston Texans at (2)Baltimore Ravens- With the dreaded Raven killers out of the playoffs, Baltimore has a chance to return to the Super Bowl for the first time since 2000. I like the Ravens to dance with the Packers in Indy this year (I picked Baltimore/Green Bay to be in last year too). I know the Texans looked great last week, but I still don't trust them without a legit QB. They can play defense but the Ravens are a whole different team at home, and with Boldin back they can spread the ball or bash anyone with Ray Rice. Close game, looking for some big plays on defense to be the difference. Ravens 23-14.

(4)New York Giants at (1)Green Bay Packers- Now, I know I haven't been picking the Giants when I want to pick them because I'm a jinx, but this has nothing to do with that. I honestly believe the Packers are going to win. I would love a NY upset but I don't see it happening. I see the Packers coming out fast and attacking downfield from the get-go. Exactly what they did to the Falcons last year. The Giants defense looks like their old selves again, they have played three great games in a row shutting down the Jets, Cowboys, and Falcons. The Packers are not the Jets. I can see NY coming back and giving the Pack a hell of a game, but coming up short. I also think the Giants D will make some good plays, they will get pressure and will play extremely physical. In the end, Green Bay is just too much for them, they have 5 targets that can cut the Giants up. Green Bay will not take NY for granted, that is how upsets happen, and the Giants confidence is high right now, which also creates upsets. Going to be a good game, but I'll take Green Bay to host the NFC Championship next week. Green Bay 31-27.


Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

2 Comments:

Blogger Whit's Whittlings2 said...

Red:

I predict the Saints will come marching in. :^)

January 14, 2012 at 7:09 AM  
Blogger Whit's Whittlings2 said...

Just finished watching the Saints lose to the 49'ers. What an exciting game that was.

January 14, 2012 at 5:34 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home