Sunday, October 9, 2011

Week 5

Just getting this in by the 11th hour this week, that's how tired busy I have been. I want to start off with some sad news, Al Davis, the owner of the Oakland/LA/Oakland Raiders has died. I'm sure some Raider fans are glad to see him go, but the old timers are going to miss him and Mr.Davis did mean a lot to the NFL and he is a big part of what the NFL is today. Goodbye Al.

Now, last week was a tough one, there were a few upsets that I thought would happen and didn't and a few upsets I didn't see coming. It is a very strange season so far, the usual way that teams win is with defense, there's an old saying in the NFL "Defense wins Championships" but not this year. There is no truly dominant D and all the top teams have the lowest ranking defenses. The Pats (3-1) rank dead last and the Packers (4-0) are have the 31st ranked pass defense, the Packers have also allowed more plays over 20 yards(15) than any team in the NFL. The Falcons, Saints, Jets and Eagles have been tromped on up the middle and none have generated a pass rush. The Giants are 3-1 and are 18th in pass defense and 21st in rush defense. So, who does lead in all categories? Well, the Cincinnati Bengals are the number one D right now who have allowed only 1,102 yards this season to counter that the Pats have allowed almost 1,500 yards of just passing yards and 1,910 all purpose yards. Very strange....

Last Week 9-7
Overall 40-24


Philadelphia Eagles(1-3)at Buffalo Bills(3-1)- I don't remember the last time a team that was 1-3 was favored over a 3-1 team. I know the Eagles have sucked, and they have lost 3 in a row because of 4th quarter comebacks. In those 3 losses the Eagles have been outscored 36-0 in the 4th quarter. The Bills are a comeback team, and the Eagles may have some real problems handling the quick attack from Fitzpatrick. The Philly LB's have been horrible, they cannot cover the TE, they do not stop the run and Vick has been forced to be the whole show. I really, really like the Bills to win this game, and I am going with my gut. Bills over the struggling Eagles (in comeback style) 30-27.

Kansas City Chiefs(1-3)at Indianapolis Colts(0-4)- All eyes are on Indy right now, the debate about Manning/Luck grows with every loss they take. The Colts have already been labeled as the team to get the #1 pick and have a Joe Montana/Steve Young like scenario play out with Manning and Luck, it could really happen. But, I think both the Colts and Chiefs will be 1-4 by the end of the day. Colts to win (after showing a good effort against the Bucs) 23-17.

Arizona Cardinals(1-3)at Minnesota Vikings(0-4)- The Cards have almost won a few more games this year, they could be 4-0 right now but have suffered the same fate as the Eagles with late collapses. The Vikes?? I don't know, they just suck in general. Cards finish a win out and the Vikes keep the goose egg. 29-21 Cards.

Seattle Seahawks(1-3)at New York Giants(3-1)- In the last two meeting between these teams the Giants have won by a combined score of 85-10. The Hawks have become the Giants punching bag, even in Seattle where NY beat them 41-7 last year, I expect more of the same today. The Seahawks just don't match up with the Giants at all. What the Giants do best the Seahawks cannot counter, and where the Giants are weak the Seahawks are not strong. If I picked the Giants to go 1-15 this year, this would be the one guaranteed win. Giants 27-13.

Tennessee Titans(3-1)at Pittsburgh Steelers(2-2)- Want to talk defense now? The Titans rank 4 the Steelers rank 2 in overall yards. I think the Steelers have some major issues and will have to give 130% to beat the Titans who have come back into the groove in the AFC. With the AFC South wide open because of Manning's injury the Titans are stepping up to the plate and playing some really good football. Call me crazy but I'm buying into it, I am drinking the Titans Kool Aid. Titans 24-20 over the Steelers.

New Orleans Saints(3-1)at Carolina Panthers(1-3)- A shootout? Well, both teams put up silly numbers offensively but neither plays a very good defense. I do give the edge to the Saints who do play better than the Panthers, and I see no upset here. Saints 34-28.

Cincinnati Bengals(2-2)at Jacksonville Jaguars(1-3)- I like Cinci to win. Crazy huh? No Palmer, no Ochocinco or TO, no big names just big games. The Bengals are not going to beat any big teams like Baltimore or New England but they can beat the weak teams if they try. Cinci over Jax 16-13.

Oakland Raiders(2-2)at Houston Texans(3-1)- Win one for the Gipper, right? The Raiders will be playing for Al Davis today, and they have looked like a decent team. The Texans just may be too much for them to handle, offensively. The Raiders do have a very good rushing game, and a good short yardage passing game, but the Texans are no pushover. Raiders keep in close but no cigar 30-21 Texans.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers(3-1)at San Fransisco 49ers(3-1)- A let down game? After going to Philly and upsetting the Eagles do the Niners come home and lay an egg? Nah, I'll go with San Fran to win 24-21.

San Diego Chargers(3-1)at Denver Broncos(1-3)- Chargers. I know, I know, it's early season and it's a divisional game but I'm being crazy today so let's keep it going. Chargers win 20-14.

New York Jets(2-2)at New England Patriots(3-1)- Can the Jets lose 3 in a row? Sure, why not? The Jets have no rushing game so they cannot control the clock, they have no pass rush so they cannot get to Brady, they have no LB's so they cannot cover the TE..oh and then there's Wes Welker who in 4 weeks has 40+ catches and 600+ yards already. Sorry Rex, you are not a Super Bowl contender, Pats 35-24.

Green Bay Packers(4-0)at Atlanta Falcons(2-2)- I really want to pick the Falcons here, but I have a feeling they will not get their revenge on the Packers. Rodgers is playing on a different level than any defense in the NFL. I think the Falcons can make this interesting, and maybe even take a lead into the 4th but I'm going with the Pack in the end. Packers 33-28.

Chicago Bears(2-2)at Detroit Lions(4-0)- Man, do I like the Lions. I do not like the Bears in any way to pull out this win. I know it's a divisional game and anything can happen but the Lions are the real deal. Lions close win 21-20.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home